Mississauga is launching a one-year pilot program that would see food trucks serving residents in nine parks throughout the city!
The pilot begins May 1, 2018 and continue through to April 30, 2019. Food trucks will be permitted onsite during regular park hours 7am-11pm.
The nine participating parks are:
- Jack Darling Memorial Park (1180 Lakeshore Rd. W.)
- Paul Coffey Park (3430 Derry Rd. E.)
- Erindale Park (1695 Dundas St. W.)
- Mississauga Valley Park (1275 Mississauga Valley Blvd.)
- Dunton Athletic Fields (6180 Kennedy Rd.)
- R.K. McMillan Park – adjacent to Lakefront Promenade Park (830 Aviation Rd.)
- Syntex Green (2180 Syntex Ct.)
- Max Ward Sports Park (2380 Matheson Blvd. E.)
- Meadowvale Sports Park (2255 Meadowvale Blvd.)
A vendor bid package will be released in March. One permit per park will be awarded using a lottery process. Potential vendors will need to submit their menu, pricing and estimated foot traffic as part of their lottery submissions.
Currently, the City restricts food trucks to special events within parks throughout Mississauga and four stationary park vendors at Mississauga Celebration Square. In addition, eight hot dog and 14 ice cream vendors are presently permitted in city parks.
Knowledge gained from the pilot will help inform the development of future food truck strategies, noted Mitcham.
City Council will determine if Mississauga will move forward with the recommended project during the Council meeting on Wednesday, March 7.