If halls could talk, what a story Erindale Village’s would tell.

The stretch of Dundas Street east of Mississauga Road, originally called Springfield-on-the-Credit was once home to the Royal Exchange Hotel, a post office, general store and the parish hall of St. Peter’s Anglican.

On May 5, 1919, a customer walked into Barker’s General Store (now O’Neill’s Vacuums) discarded a match in a garbage bucket which contained coal oil, igniting a fire that wiped out most of the village, including the parish hall, formerly the town hall.

Read more>>

John Stewart, The Mississauga News, November 2, 2017