Recently our office has received numerous calls and emails regarding CRA scams. This is just a reminder that the CRA WILL NEVER:
- ask for personal information by email or text message;
- request payment by prepaid credit card;
- share your tax information with another person or organization, unless you have agreed that it can be shared;
- leave personal information on an answering machine;
- threaten or use nasty language.
When in doubt, call 1-800-959-8281 or contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online or toll free at 1-888-495-8501.
If you believe you may be the victim of fraud or have given personal or financial information by mistake, contact your local police service.