Earth Day is a day dedicated to environmental protection and is celebrated annually across the globe. Each city hosts a series of events where residents gather together to symbolize their commitment to the environment.
The City of Mississauga is committed to greening its city and has hosted many events aimed at curbing our carbon footprint to mitigate the effects of our changing earth systems.
Tomorrow is the City’s annual “One Million Trees Planting” at Heatherleigh Park. Starting at 9 a.m. until 12 p.m., you can expect family fun activities, a neighbourhood tree tour and, of course, planting trees.
If you want to do something more home-based, consider greening your daily activities. Behavioural changes, even as small as they may seem, can make a huge impact. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Consider trading in plastic water bottles for a reusable bottle
- Turn your taps off while brushing your teeth and/or scrubbing dirty dishes
- Purchase reusable bags and take them with you whenever you go shopping
- Wash your laundry in cold water instead of hot
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room and when it’s a sunny day, don’t turn the lights on at all! Enjoy the natural light!
These are just a few tips to help yourself get started!
If you want to share your green activities, you can use the hashtag #SaugaEarthDays.