What the new charge means to Property Owners
- Residential properties will be grouped into one of five tiers by size – from extra-small to extra-large. A number of billing units will apply to the tier – for example, homes in the medium tier will be assigned one billing unit. Homes will be put into a tier based on the size of rooftop area which is based on aerial imagery; this imagery will be updated annually.
- Multi-residential and non-residential property owners (such as condominiums, apartments and businesses) will be assigned one billing unit for every 267 square metres of hard surface on their property.
- The 2016 stormwater rate will be set at $100 per billing unit. Each year, Council will set the stormwater rate as part of the City’s budget process. In 2016, residential property owners will pay $50 to $170 for stormwater depending on their tier.
- The majority of residential property owners will pay $100 or less.
- There are programs available on stormwater management for residential property owners in Mississauga.
- There is a credit program available for multi-residential and non-residential property owners.